[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Apr 14 14:09:34 EDT 2008

Ari,

  Traditionally, there has been no widely adopted
vendor/system-independent format for specifying style
information.  Hopefully now that there is an organization
(the OGC) addressing open standards for geographic data
(including styling: SLD) there will be more support for a
styling standard.

  Wouldn't it be great if data suppliers delivered a .sld
(or something like it) with .shp?  And Open Source software
like Quantum, gvSig, OpenJump, and Mapserver actual read the
styling and applied it?

  Other comments below...
Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.