[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue Apr 15 14:31:17 EDT 2008

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) kirjoitti:
> One addition to what Chris points out, to complicate things :-), SVG
> vector symbols can also be used inside an SLD document (for a Mark).
>
> To be even more precise, we are really talking about the Symbology
> Encoding (SE) spec here. SLD as of version 1.1 only deals with the
> integration of symbology encoding into WMS. Symbology (and the rules)
> was taken out of SLD since it is more generic than only WMS. But most
> current implementations still use SLD 1.0 where all is in one spec.
>
> http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/symbol

Thanks, I did not know about this. Looks interesting, combines SVG
styles and even symbols. Lots of focus on the rules, i.e., rendering
based on features properties and map scales.

This is an XML schema, (how) does it help us with concretizing the map
composer / cartographic library idea? What's the software that the
library implies, gonna do?

> SVG *isn't* a rule language: SVG is one possible output of taking a Rule
> language (SLD), combining it with geography and attributes (GML,
> Shapefile, what have you), and creating a final product.

One more example of how we talk about different things. In my problems
the interaction is perhaps more important than final products. I think
of SVG as a technology of getting the current problem/idea/plan/desing
on the screen.

Cheers,

Ari

--