[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 21:34:56 EDT 2008

Joanne Cook provided good insights into replacing ArcGIS software with
Open Source on the geowanking list recently.
http://lists.burri.to/pipermail/geowanking/2008-April/005117.html (and
copied below)

I'd love to see all this expertise collated into an ESRI/Open Source
comparison similar to the review of the Open Source clients at:
http://www.spatialserver.net/osgis/
Such a comparison could the be used to drive Migration to Open Source
plans and package development (as sponsors decide it is cheaper to add
their key features to Open Source than to go for a full ESRI license).

Has anyone started such comparisons yet that we could build upon?
Would this be best developed as a wiki book?