[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Apr 25 10:55:16 EDT 2008

Paolo,

Among the things that QGIS (and other open source desktops) can't do
are a table join, a spatial join, high quality paper output, and
symbolized thematic mapping.  Particular drawbacks of QGIS include the
single-threaded user interface model (ui locks during render, making
work with large files very stop-n-go) and relatively simple editing
tools.

I think it's contingent on us as evangelizers to not over-sell. I
would not recommend QGIS or any other open source desktop to someone
whose prior experience was Arc* until I had a clear understanding of
the use case. In response to the query "can I replace ArcView with
open source", my answer is "in general, no, but maybe for a specific
use case".

P.