[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Apr 25 16:06:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:55 PM, George R. C. Silva
<georger.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
>  One thing GIS OS software could have are better editing tools. I do miss
> them alot, and the one is ArcGIS are unbeatable (i dont know any O.S.
> software that have 'autocomplete polygon', tons of snapping options, etc -
> btw, if you do, let me know).
>
>  FOSS is great, but it lacks (IMHO) better editing options.

We are working on that:
 http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Digitizer

Screenshots:
 http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/gui.php
 -> wxPython (new GUI)

You can try out the prototype in GRASS 6.3.0 (released yesterday):
 http://grass.osgeo.org/announces/announce_grass630.html

Get MacOSX, Linux and now even native MS-Windows binaries with *installer* at
 http://grass.osgeo.org/download/index.php#g63x

Enjoy
Markus