[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo patronage and letter of support for the CASCADOSS Project

Monika Rusztecka monika at gridw.pl
Mon Apr 7 04:45:49 PDT 2008

Dear OSGeo list,

As per:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Protocol_for_requesting_letter_of_support

I would like to kindly ask you for OSGeo patronage and letter of support
for the CASCADOSS Project (http://www.cascadoss.eu/) developed in the
frame of Sixth Framework Programme, PRIORITY 1.2.4.2.2: Identification
of new methods of promoting and encouraging transnational technology
transfer.
Project CASCADOSS is dedicated to research the market of Free and Open
Source Software for GIS and Remote Sensing, evaluate FOSS4G solutions
for environmental applications and promote their use among various group
of users. Most important target groups is public sector - governmental
and self-governmental (which is one of the priority target group of the
European Comisssion). The very special target group is GMES Program
(Global Monitoring for Environmental Security) participants and
beneficiaries. In the frame of GMES group there is a strong community of
scientists, GIS and RS practitioners and people who could be interested
and be able in application of open source solutions.
Project is conducted by following Partners SADL /K.U.Leuven R&D from
Belgium, GISAT from Czech Republic, Compet-Terra from Hungary and
UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre from Poland.

The CASCADOSS consists of 3 main phases: 1st – evaluation process (to be
completed in April), 2nd – Dissemination of the evaluation results and
discussion on evaluation results during two international events: 1 day
Symposium (16th of June) and 3 day Workshop (17th-19th June), to be held
in Warsaw in Poland, 3rd – National Workshops in Belgium, Czech Republic
and Slovakia, Hungary and in Poland (Feb. 2009). Additionally we are
also working on licensing issues, business models for SME activities
with FOSS4G solutions.

The most forthcoming activities are International Symposium and the
Workshop. We would like to have OSGeo support and patronage for those
two upcoming events as an “umbrella” with permission of use OSGeo label
in promo activities, including publication at the official CASCADOSS
website.
OSGeo could announce CASCADOSS project and the patronage on the website,
publish news about the events and include them in the OSGeo calendar.
Since the whole Project is financed by EC we are not asked for funds.

To sum-up: OSGeo and CASCADOSS team are both aiming to promote FOSS4G
solutions and its application in environmental projects/activities.
There is strong interest in OS solutions - therefore it would be good to
have OSGeo - a core "actor" in FOSS4G Community, and your "blessing" for
the project and its activities.
We think that CASCADOSS project goal to spread knowledge about FOSS4G
solutions and applications without your "umbrella" would be missing
something.

On behalf of CASCADOSS Team
Monika Rusztecka

UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre