[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Python Library

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 7 05:52:44 PDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi OSGeo,
>
> I would like to propose another idea which might be a (long term) goal
> of OSGeo software development:
>
>  OSGeo Python Library
>  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Python_Library
>
> Currently it is quite complex to set up a Python based OSGeo software
> environment without knowing well the individual projects. It would be great
> to have a common abstraction layer/API which contains binding to several
> relevant OSGeo and related software projects with Python bindings to
> simplify programming.
>
> Hacks to the Wiki page and comments welcome,

Markus,

I think to a large extent the Python Cartographic Library and related
efforts aspire to do this.  They provide a very pythonic interface
to projects like GDAL/OGR, MapServer, PROJ.4, and so forth.  I have
added a brief note pointing to http://gispython.org/ but I think any
real effort to progress on this should involve understanding what is
already there at gispython.org.  It might be fruitful to discuss the
idea with Sean Gilles or Howard Butler who are knowledgable about
the existing python interfaces.

Best regards,