[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Rushforth, Peter prushfor at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Apr 8 11:55:46 PDT 2008

Hi,

This is an interesting discussion!

In the XML world, the answer to graphics rendering is SVG + XSL-FO,
generated by XSLT scripts according to styling rules.  XSL-FO
is then rendered via a formatting objects processor, like Apache FOP.

I'm of the opinion that a pipeline like:

GML +/- (any XML data) + SLD/FE + WMS graphics  => XSLT => SVG+XSL-FO -> pdf, (?geopdf anyone?)

would make for a killer map scripting environment.  Plus, it has the
added benefit of being based on standards or de facto standards
across the board, with open source solutions available in each
area.

I will sign up for the discussion too!

Cheers,
Peter Rushforth
Technology Advisor / Conseiller technique
GeoConnections / GĂ©oConnexions
650-615 Booth St. / rue Booth
Ottawa ON K1A 0E9
E-mail / Courriel: Peter.Rushforth at NRCan.gc.ca
Phone / TĂ©lephone: (613) 943-0784
Fax / telecopier:  (613) 947-2410