[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sun Apr 13 01:18:48 PDT 2008

Markus Neteler kirjoitti:
> Dear OSGeo,
>
> I would like to launch the idea of an "OSGeo Cartographic Library" to
> share concepts, source code and regression tests:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library

I proposed a year ago to develop a geospatial graphics library based on
Cairo
http://www.intevation.de/pipermail/freegis-list/2007-April/003142.html

I'm still very much interested in this. Cairo would provide a single API
to render to an image buffer, on PDF and others. It has good support for
rendering text with various fonts and there are high-level language APIs.

Currently Cairo can be used in Geoinformatica to render geodata,
legends, etc. on a map. I'm already using that a bit and will use it
much more in the future.

What I think is needed first, and would be the core content of the
library is 1) a mapping of style information into Cairo commands, 2)
capability to render cartographic symbols on maps, and 3) a mechanism to
allow plugins that add legends etc. on the map, 4) symbol and label
placement algorithms. Second need would perhaps be support for various
geovisualization methods.

1) is rather straight-forward, I guess, using OGC Styled Layers standard
2) I'm not sure, there seems to be free resources like
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1999/of99-430/ which offer symbols in EPS -- I
don't find support in Cairo to render EPS on surfaces
3) is rather straight-forward
4) start from simple and existing codes

Cairo is of course just one technology and not suited for all needs in
this domain. Furthermore, the data provider can be made separate from
the library, but I'd like to start with and use GDAL (OGR in fact) as
the default.

Anyway, I'd like to finally get going with this and start drafting an
API. Any ideas how to proceed? Set up a svn repository somewhere?

Regards,

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma