[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 15 07:00:42 PDT 2008

Sampson, David wrote:

>> GDAL has feature style specification:
>> http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html It has
>> recently gained some new interest.
>>

> Well, GDAL is close to the FOSS4G community so why not start with this
> and see where we can go? I think OSGEO even has some capable expertise
> somewhere in the organization that may have a few thoughts (SMILE).
>
> I'm interested in learning more if anyone has some experience. How could
> this be incorporated into the worflow?

Dave,

In my opinion we would be better off starting with a widely accepted
standard like SLD as a basis of a feature styling standard rather than
the ideosyncratic OGR feature styling specification.  If anything, I'd
like to phase out the OGR feature styling in favor of something else
more widely supported at some point in the future.

Best regards,