[OSGeo-Discuss] Your open source career

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 24 11:12:26 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,
We've probably all heard of the typical business models for open
source companies, but I'm working on a few slides for a presentation
that highlight the benefit of open source for employees - and would
love to hear from some of you.

I have some personal examples where open source made me a more
valuable employee, and how other colleagues who were into open source
were considered invaluable.  I also believe the many employers who
value open source are able to attract talented staff that
"traditional" or "proprietary" employers cannot.

Do you have a story about how embracing open source geospatial
applications helped broaden the opportunities for your future or
helped you bust out of a mundane box?  Maybe you learned on your own
time and brought your new skills into the office?  I'm particularly
interested in your personal stories about how open source may have
motivated you to grow, learn and extend your career or professional
set of tools.

Anyone want to share?

Best wishes,
Tyler