[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Apr 24 20:36:18 PDT 2008

>  3) Storage and serving of very large (50+ GB) raster datasets.  PostGIS
> does not support rasters yet; Oracle Spatial does though.  I'm still not
> sure if storing rasters in a database is a good idea but ArcSDE sure makes
> it easy, and with good performance when used in conjunction with other ESRI
> products.

John,

What is it about ArcSDE and raster that makes it easy? I have no
experience with it, but there must be something about the process that
seems easier to you than other options do. Is it just the clarity of
the process? (you do a, b, c, and d, and then voila, it's all a
seamless mosaic?) Or is there something else?