[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Apr 25 11:51:38 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:21:21PM +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> What was a Desktop GIS exactly? I only have a browser and for some strange
> reason all that I do starts with an http://...

A Desktop GIS is what you switch to when you realize that the browser
makes a really poor operating system, and moving outside of it and using
the rest of your computer is important to accomplishing some tasks.

The browser is great for a lot of things. There are also many things it
is not great for. Knowing the difference is an important step to being
successful in creating a solution that works well to meet the needs of
the problem.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt