[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: OS and proprietary

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 08:40:44 PDT 2008

On 4/26/08, Andre Grobler <spec at mweb.co.za> wrote:

> I think that is probably another aspect us proprietary experienced people do
> not remember, there's a ton of stuff I don't need in ArcView that I'm paying
> for… What I do need from it unfortunately comes from the whole spectrum of
> its modules / levels and extensions, which is simply put, not remotely
> affordable.
>

> In no way did I wish to imply that OS needs to be more like proprietary,
> just that cost of entry is time consuming. Which in my current state I'm
> rather hard pressed for… would pay for training though!!!

Unclear to me from the above statement if you have more money than
time or more time than money (although the two, in many situations,
are interchangeable).

To paraphrase the popular saying, "There are 10 kinds of people in
this world -- those who see open source lacking what they need and
choose a proprietary software instead and those who see open source
lacking what they need and choose to make it better."

If you have the money that you would spend on proprietary software
anyway, consider hiring an open source developer to develop what you
want, and then put that functionality back into the open source
community.

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/