[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Tue Apr 29 07:22:36 PDT 2008

I know this is not OS but GoogleChart is easy to use:
http://code.google.com/apis/chart/

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=p3&chd=t:20,40,30,10&chs=250x100&chl=
Hello|World|of|Google

and it can be used to add chart icons for use in online mapping interfaces,
not necessarily Google's, and not just pie charts. However, as with all of
Google stuff the license is a gotcha for most businesses.

Adding your own similar chart tool using svg or wpf/Silverlight interfaces
would not be much of a problem. Plus you get better scaling with vector
graphics along with click/rollover/tooltip... capabilities.

Raster Icon charts seem to be a useable approach for map data as discussed
here:
http://blog.thematicmapping.org/2008/04/using-google-charts-with-kml.html

I'd favor vector if you want drill-in capability though.

randy