[OSGeo-Discuss] URL

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Aug 11 12:46:52 PDT 2008

I don't think that it was specifically dropped, it just wasn't made a
requirement for new projects coming into OSGeo.

There are project pages on the OSGeo site (like
http://www.osgeo.org/grass - just product info "fliers") but from there
the project URL can be anything from external host-based (like
http://grass.osgeo.org/ - which is non-canonical, this seems to be the
same as grass.itc.it) to hosted host-based (http://mapguide.osgeo.org/)
to dedicated domains (like http://www.qgis.org/).

I don't think that projects should be _required_ to use
project.osgeo.org, but I believe that SAC is typically happy to set
these host records up for projects if they want them.

Domain/url changes are never simple if you want to retain your search
engine results, and marketing is an important part of any OS project.
Here is some very good advice to follow when doing so:

http://tinyurl.com/5s2w3q

A bit specific to Google, but it can be extrapolated out to the other
engines too.

Jason