[OSGeo-Discuss] Consumer Centric Tools and Interfaces

Wilfred L. Guerin wilfredguerin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:42:23 PDT 2008

An issue that has come up frequently is the lack of simplified
interfaces for consumer and common public access to imaging sources
for common uses.

An obvious use is the correlation and processing of all available
imaging sources including surface density / landsat and reflectivity
for modeling small farms or watersheds.

What tools exist that have an over-simplified interface (or script)
that can export common data types, especially 3d, and pull appropriate
data from all possible sources transparently?

Also, semi-urban environments (esp. suburb residential) have a popular
need to explore their area as well as common road/infrastructure
maintenance awareness.

Obviously, keyhole and worldwind are horridly deficient, NGiA is
absolutely useless, and ESA/etc have gotten worse than better.

What suggestions can be made for common home users, what tools are
available, and what methods are most easily understood?

We have discussed large terrascaped structures which are removed from
nasa data as "man made" such as the distinct landsat echo around 7.2N
-71.1W as an introduction to sensor data processing, but there are few
comprehensive tutorials for common education.

Please let me know directly of specific tools or systems or info
wilfredguerin at gmail.com if this would not be relevant to common use
tools such as OSGEO/etc.

What tools are available?

wilfredguerin at gmail.com