[OSGeo-Discuss] Manage translation in OSGeo project

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Mon Aug 25 13:37:36 PDT 2008

Le lundi 25 août 2008 22:09, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) a écrit :
> On 25-Aug-08, at 12:32 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > And it's rather easy to set up with gettext() macros in C land (to not
> > pollute the
> > source code). Likewise there will be solutions for other
> > programming languages.
>
> In a couple (non-OSGeo) projects I've helped on the translation side
> but editing XML files for each locale.  Each local.xml file entry has
> a keyword that points back to the PHP page that includes the keyword
> pointer.  These were PHP apps, so maybe only common on web
> platforms?  Do any OSGeo projects use a similar approach?
>
> Tyler
Hi,

I don't think this is a technical problem, but rather a psychological one. As
translator aims to be not developper guys (I spent some time to explain that
we don't need to be a developper to act in FOSS project) we need to allow
them to translate easily, that's means not afraid this people asking to
manage C++ or xml files ;)

I definitively get some problem to welcome people for translating OSGeo
journal because LaTeX are not enough user friendly. Both of us needs to do
some effort to work together.

Marcus Neteler propose a web gui for managing translator (am I wrong? I don't
remember the url of this application). But seems good (never tested).

Furthermore, I think that a document as the one wrote by Eric S Raymond about
how asking smart question [1] but rather "how people can act in (OSGeo)
project" could be interesting. I began to write it in french in the wiki [2]
(how to crontribute) which need to be modified a lot. This document explain
all the things taht not-developper could realize and how they could contact
developper, if needed.

To give an example, few monthes ago I contacted the OpenLayers team (in privat
email) to propose some ideas to create some new documentations in french and
put it on the OL wiki. The answer was really positive ( :) ) while they
should be redirect me on the mailing list (contact them in private mail is
bad) but I was afraid to change anything: do am I right to change so much
thing in this project? I did not think so. Even if I will be back soon to
contribute I stoped my contribution as soon as I began it :( in addition,
main developper did not know about how manage translation of the
documentation inside the project. I know, it should be better to propose
something to OL projet ;)

Best regards,

[1] : http://www.gnurou.org/writing/smartquestionsfr (French) or
http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html (English)
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Howto_fr_contribuer
--
Yves Jacolin

"Give freedom to people is not enough, we also have to give them the power to
use this freedom, to act". M Gauchet