[OSGeo-Discuss] copyright question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 9 15:33:18 EST 2008

P Kishor wrote:
> Any right is only as good as its defense in the court. Just because
> reputable IP lawyers may draft copyright assignments in works that
> don't yet exist doesn't mean that actual copyrights in those works
> exist.

Puneet,

I don't claim that the copyright exists before the thing being
copyrighted exists.  Only that it is possible to write a contract
that grants that copyright in advance of it actually existing.
The actual assignment for each chunk presumably takes place as
it is created and the copyright comes into existance.

I am doubtful that this tangent is really important to the question of
whether these folks can assign the copyright of their work-to-come to
OSGeo.

Best regards,