[OSGeo-Discuss] copyright question

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Dec 9 15:51:04 EST 2008

Hey-

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Thanks all for this very informative thread!
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

Bart, thanks for raising the question - and to others for responses.

Here is a bit more based on conversation on #osgeo.

When asked under what conditions the OSGeo would accept copyright
assignment, Frank mentioned that if an existing OSGeo project were to
take responsibility for a "sub project" (looking for better words), it
would make more sense for the OSGeo to accept some responsibility
(accepting copyright).

When I followed up by expressing confusion about exactly what an
existing project PSC would agree to (in this case, the OpenLayers PSC),
this followed:

(01:39:40 PM) tschaub: I still wonder exactly what the ol psc would agree to

(01:40:44 PM) FrankW: You would presumably ask them to accept
responsibility for the code with the caveat that the copyright would be
assigned to OSGeo, not metacarta and it would be best if you present the
copyright assignment or contributor agreement you want to use in the
motion to the OL PSC.

(01:41:20 PM) FrankW: You might also write into the motion that the OL
PSC would attempt to defer to the GeoExt PSC (or equiv) with regard to
issues about that GeoExt code.

Hope that appropriately characterizes the discussion.

Tim

> P Kishor wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Puneet,
>>>
>>> I don't claim that the copyright exists before the thing being
>>> copyrighted exists.  Only that it is possible to write a contract
>>> that grants that copyright in advance of it actually existing.
>>> The actual assignment for each chunk presumably takes place as
>>> it is created and the copyright comes into existance.
>>>
>>> I am doubtful that this tangent is really important to the question of
>>> whether these folks can assign the copyright of their work-to-come to
>>> OSGeo.
>>>

>> Yes, you are correct in stating that a contract can be written
>> granting rights in one's future work to someone else. That is how
>> "work-for-hire" works, for example.
>>
>> You and I were indeed talking slightly past each other. I interpreted
>> Bart's question at face value -- can "OsGeo to take copyright for a
>> project which yet has to form." The answer is "no." There are no
>> rights yet, so nothing can be taken. On the other hand, can a creator
>> of a work give up one's rights in future work to OSGeo? Sure, based on
>> a contract, one can.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Puneet Kishor