[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Qgis-developer] Icons symbology and naming

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Mon Dec 22 15:30:42 EST 2008

Hi Robert,

On Dec 22, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Robert Szczepanek wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
>> Fate will that I just send a mail to the osgeo-discuss list with the
>> proposal to use the Tango-set for foss4g applications and create a
>> GIS superset for our specific needs. So I'm very happy with the work
>> you've done so far. I'm wondering if you would be interested to help
>> to create a complete tango set for all applications to be used (in a
>> similar way the tango project does it). This does involve creating a
>> icon-name-specification and a svn with icons in three sizes etc.
>
> I'm very glad to read that we have so much in common!
> Yes, that is also my long-term goal. To make GIS icon theme/set.
> That's why I have started common-icon-naming-problem and icon-
> symbology
> scalability problem in terms of GIS applications diversity.

:)

> However, in my opinion at this moment we should focus more on
> symbols than
> different icon sizes. Basic size for toolbars (small icons) is not
> scalable
> upsize. So we can't make just one SVG and scale it. That is why I
> focused on
> toolbar icons size. They are the most important I think. I have
> very limited
> time and try to correlate my efforts with QGIS/GRASS relases. That
> is why I
> didn't start cooperation with Tango people yet. I would prefer to
> have core
> symbols selected and then start talking with them about design
> details. Tango
> was mine main inspiration, so I try to follow their guidelines, but
> not
> strictly.

Obviously it is an awful lot of work to create icons in all sizes
Tango proposes, as such I do understand that you did not do that. The
work you've done so far is marvelous, creating an entire set of icons
for QGIS is a whole lot of work in itself. So what I'm proposing is
to help you to design more icons and in more sizes. So I'm looking
for a way how we can work together to create on one side a consistent
set for QGIS/GRASS, which is obviously your main concern and on the
other side to create a stock set for the OSGeo community.
So I like to setup some more general system in the osgeo (or tango)
infrastructure with the icons we have so far in both SVG and png.
Also push the icon naming scheme a bit more so projects can easily
use our icons. If you think this is a good idea I'll contact the
Tango people to get some more information on setting up a icon-
repository (tango-artist mailinglist) and we can continue on happy
designing.

> It would be great to work together with you and with Tango people.

Same here, I'm slightly more a Tango-purist so be warned ;)

Regards,
Steven