[OSGeo-Discuss] Relationship between Telascience and the OSGeo

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Dec 22 14:31:44 PST 2008

Frank wrote: " Telascience has kindly donated servers, bandwidth and
support services
to OSGeo.  I'm not aware of a lot of official documents about the
relationship, it is mostly based on personal connections and the fact
that goals of telascience and OSGeo in the geo-computing space have
substantial overlap.  We are very grateful to Telascience as an
organization,
and John Graham in particular for all the help we have received."

Thank you for that information.

Frank wrote: "In addition to the servers provided by Telascience we also
have two rented
servers at Peer1 (svn, trac, drupal, and mailman are on one of these
servers).
We are paying nearly $15K/yr for these two servers."

Wow! Does our traffic require two dedicated servers like this?

Frank wrote: " So far geospatial data hosting has been accomplished via
the servers at
Telascience.  OSGeo has not to-date provided any resources of it's own
(ie. budgeted for) in support of hosting geodata.

Large scale geodata hosting is pretty demanding from a computational,
disk space and bandwidth point of view and it would be likely be
cost prohibitive for us to pursue it in a big way on commercially
priced servers like the ones at Peer1."

Is it the space requirements that make geodata hosting demanding, the
bandwith requirements for download, or both?

Frank wrote: " There is some question in my mind just how central the
*hosting* of
free geodata is to our mission."

It would be great to get this clarified.

I had originally asked this question because I might be able to make a
small donation to support free geodata hosting. I was trying to figure
out which organization would be the best suited for the donation. Sounds
like it should go to telascience. We'll see how my taxes works out this
year. :]

Landon

> I was wondering if anyone could explain the nature of the relationship

> between TelaScience and the OSGeo. Are they simply working together
> where they have goals in common, or is there relationship more
> substantial than that?

Landon,

Telascience has kindly donated servers, bandwidth and support services
to OSGeo.  I'm not aware of a lot of official documents about the
relationship, it is mostly based on personal connections and the fact
that goals of telascience and OSGeo in the geo-computing space have
substantial overlap.  We are very grateful to Telascience as an
organization,
and John Graham in particular for all the help we have received.

 > Does the OSGeo have its own hardware to support
> the hosting of "free" or public domain geospatial data? Will it in the

> future?

In addition to the servers provided by Telascience we also have two
rented
servers at Peer1 (svn, trac, drupal, and mailman are on one of these
servers).
We are paying nearly $15K/yr for these two servers.

So far geospatial data hosting has been accomplished via the servers at
Telascience.  OSGeo has not to-date provided any resources of it's own
(ie. budgeted for) in support of hosting geodata.

Large scale geodata hosting is pretty demanding from a computational,
disk space and bandwidth point of view and it would be likely be
cost prohibitive for us to pursue it in a big way on commercially
priced servers like the ones at Peer1.

We (as a board) have had no requests from SAC or the Geodata committee
for resources for geodata hosting.

Personally, I'd be supportive of providing modest funding to purchase
additional disk, and/or server resources that could be co-located
at telascience if it would be valuable in hosting geodata hosting.

There is some question in my mind just how central the *hosting* of
free geodata is to our mission.

Best regards,
------
warmerdam at pobox.com