[OSGeo-Discuss] Relationship between Telascience and the OSGeo

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 22 19:16:46 PST 2008

Landon Blake wrote:
> Frank wrote: "Clarifying such a matter is not trivial in an organization
> with many different ideas like OSGeo."
>
> Roger that. So I guess it boils down to the internal support for this
> type of service.

Landon,

Yes, I suppose.  I will say there is certainly support for OSGeo hosting
free geodata, but it is unclear if that support extends to spending
significant amounts of money on it.  It also depends on folks with the
right talents being able to do the work needed.

> Frank wrote: "I'm not sure if telascience accepts public donations or
> not, nor whether it is 501(c)3 which might matter for tax purposes."
>
> Roger that. I wonder if it would be possible to make a donation to
> telascience trough OSGeo, which would be tax deductible...

Our 501(c)3 application is still wending it's way through the IRS.  I don't
know if we could issue a charitable tax receipt for money received for this
tax year or not ... it is certain iffy.

If we could, and the amount was significant, we could earmark it
for geodata/hardware type expenses at telascience.  But, honestly,
you might be better donating money to feed starving children somewhere
this year, and just provide your talents as a developer, tester,
documentor and advocate to the FOSS4G/OSGeo community - and revisit
the donation issue next year.

Best regards,