[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Incubator] Service Provider Directory: Prioritization

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen at Ticheler.net
Fri Feb 1 09:49:58 PST 2008

Hi Frank,

On Feb 1, 2008, at 6:27 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> However, being listed in the service provider directory would still
> be free
> and we would not otherwise discriminate against service providers
> who have
> not been identified as contributors.
Yes

> This email is seeking feedback from the community on two main items:
>
> 1) Does it seem acceptable to give preferential listing (via order of
> returned results) to organizations identified as contributors?

Yes for what I'm concerned.

> 2) Are project PSCs actually willing and interested in identifying
> contributors
> in a formal way?  It would be up to projects to decide what criteria
> they want
> and to notify webcom of their contributors in some fashion.

I think a PSC should establish a policy for their own project and
possibly provide such listing on their own project website in the
first place. This could be liberal for some, more conservative for
others. OSGeo should follow the projects policy if it exists.

To keep this manageable, OSGeo probably could be as strict as the most
conservative policy (hehe, I'm sure there's many that don't like
that ;-) ). In that way we can avoid that OSGeo lists service
providers for a project that the project PSC itself is not happy with.

If OSGeo wants to be as liberal as the most liberal PSC policy, adding
a service provider fore sure requires more management.

Maybe incubation should require a project to accept an OSGeo policy on
this!?

... And we had 200 more meetings before reaching consensus 8-) ...
My 2c, ciao,
Jeroen