[OSGeo-Discuss] Image Handling in RDBMS

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Fri Feb 22 16:39:10 PST 2008

IMO:

Hi Puneet.

Thanks for the comments.

> That brings us back to PostGIS supporting images. Clearly, most folks
> who use it don't see it worth the effort implementing. I suggest two
> things --
>
> one. This being open source, Bruce and others, start developing the
> capabilities and contribute it back to the PostGIS project as an
> add-on. Many like you, the silent ones, would appreciate it.

Its hard to get a feel for the 'number' of silent ones...

You may not want me getting my hands dirty in code development again....
its been a long time ;-).

My current focus is on advocacy and on trying to get a big picture
overview of OS Spatial so that I can work out where I can best help,
rather than just jumping in blindly.

With the advocacy, I may be able to help get additional resources assigned
to some OS Spatial and OSGeo Projects. There are already Australian
government resources going into the development of:

- GeoNetwork (to support ANZLIC's adoption of GeoNetwork
(http://www-ext.osdm.gov.au/osdm/policy/metadata.html))

- GeoServer and GeoTools (CSIRO work on complex objects to support
GeoSciML):

  +
http://www.nabble.com/Introducing-new-Geoserver-developer-@-CSIRO,-Ben-Caradoc-Davies-td15312675.html
  + http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/SEEGrid+project+scope

wrt the big picture work, I intend sharing what I have currently in the
near future. I'll post more on this later.

wrt imagery in Postgres, there is already work happening in this space.
The Brazillian TerraLib project supports raster in Postgres. There have
also been others mentioned in this thread. How can other projects take
advantage of and further this work?

> two. Again, Bruce, you summed up the thread in another email -- might
> I suggest that you add the pros and cons of storing images in a db to
> the edu-OSGeo wiki as a presentation/decision-making aid so other data
> managers evaluating this issue have a valuable resource to lean on.

I'll do this as soon as time allows (and I learn how to edit a wiki).

Bruce

Notice:

contained in this email.