[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [postgis-users] A bit off topic, but FOSS GIS clients...

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 11:03:50 PST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Despite that, user must first and foremost understand they are not
> the driver.

... unless they pony up with money and/or time.  As Tim said, you are
either a sink or a source.  As an open source developer, I invest in
you the user (in money and/or time) by providing documentation (as
little as possible to optimize my time), answering your questions
directly, and coding in an effort to create more sources that provide
me with leverage.  Everyone starts out as a sink.  The project only
grows by producing more sources than sinks.  If you are identified as
a sink with no hope of ever turning into a source, you will eventually
be ignored.

If you want to have a really successful open source experience, you
must aspire to being a source as quickly as possible.  As a source,
you will receive differentially more investment (help, code, docs, and
ideas) from other project principles than if your status as a source
or sink is unclear.

Use the (and be a) source Luke!

Howard