[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4GIS business models

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Jan 3 08:58:04 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:26:51AM -0500, Lucena, Ivan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am *not* going to disagree with Andrea, Gilberto, Paul, Howard or
> anybody else. I just want to point out a interesting open source
> business model that is making a big impact this days. I am talking about
> Xen [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen].
>
> I keep reading news and more news about new commercial products from big
> software companies based on Xen. Is that possible on the GIS world?

Depending on what you're reading (I can't tell from a quick Google which
types of stories you're talking about), I'm not sure how Xen really
plays a part in the commercialization.  Xen can be used to host products
in a virtual environment, and if that is the case, there's no money
being made off *Xen*, money is being made off the other software.

I could be wrong. I just didn't find anything to back up either way in
the Wikipedia and related links.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt