[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4GIS business models

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Mon Jan 7 19:00:15 PST 2008

Hi Bruce,

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> wrt the Brazillian TerraLib toolkit mentioned in your paper:
>
> - I've had a quick look at the web site. The product appears to be quite
> mature and functional.
>
> - Has anyone from this list had a technical look at the products and
> like to share their observations? Can they be integrated with OSGeo
> apps? Do they support OGC standards etc?
>
> Bruce Bannerman

I believe that TerraLib would deserve a better "technical look" than
what I did but my initial impression was very favorable. What impress me
the most was the raster-on-rdbms support.

I download and installed the TerraView application and imported some
raster data files to PostgreSQL and it works like a charm, but again,
that would deserve a performance evaluation.

The source code repository is not as open as GDAL (for example) but I
believe that out-side contributors should be able to suggest
modification by sending CVS patches at least.

There are very good (normally expensive) image processing algorithms
implemented on the library, e.g. segmentation, Wavelets. There is a rich
set of vectors algorithms too.

Talking about integration with other OSGeo projects I believe that the
current TerraLib RC uses GDAL.

Best regards,

Ivan