[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Geo Database

Frank Hardisty hardisty at psu.edu
Tue Jan 15 07:08:07 PST 2008

David and All,

A nice up-and-coming open Java geodatabase format is H2 + spatial extensions.

The H2 database is by the same guy that wrote that HSQL db. H2 has
some good properties, most importantly, it's small (1 Mb), works well
in embedded mode, and is fast. Adding in spatial data in JTS format,
and providing a spatial index, is the basic concept.

Two implementations that I know of are

1. The French research group IRSTV, lead programmer seems to be Erwan Bocher.
http://geosysin.iict.ch/irstv-trac/wiki/H2spatial/Download

2. GeoTools has a H2 spatial module, written by Justin Deoliveira.
Here's a link to the compiled jars:
http://maven.geotools.fr/repository/org/geotools/gt2-h2/2.5-SNAPSHOT/

Both are under active development.

regards,
-Frank

On Jan 14, 2008 3:14 PM, Sampson, David <dsampson at nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> Just wondering if there is still thought out there from the previous thread
> about a portable and open geodatabase.  I came across the nemesis project
> "an experimental finite element code. Utilizes SQLite to store, handle and
> retrieve geometry and analysis data. "
>
> http://www.nemesis-project.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> Thought that might be a good place to start that is already using geometry
> in sqlite.
>
> As for software adoptions it looks like GRASS already has an SQLITE driver.
>
> QGIS looks hopeful. Here is a GRASS/QGIS-SQLITE tutorial
> http://whatnick.blogspot.com/2007/12/using-sqlite-with-qgis-grass-toolbox.html
>
> GDAL has some SQLITE http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_sqlite.html
>

> Just some more info for the fire.
>
> Cheers

Frank Hardisty
hardisty at psu.edu

GeoVISTA Center
210 Walker Building

Dutton e-Education Institute
415 Earth and Engineering Sciences Building

814-867-1471
http://www.geovista.psu.edu/grants/cdcesda/software/