[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Technology Group, Inc. announces PostGIS & UMN MapServer Training

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:51:45 PST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> If you were to lead the development of this material and put it into
> the Open Source (with your name attached) this would give you extra
> credibility and marketing reach.

Why?  Why must OTG put their hard earned training materials in the
public domain and give them away for free for "extra credibility"?
What would then be the incentive for someone to pay $$$ to go to an
intensive training session?  IMO, what OTG is doing is a very
classical business model of Open Source development.  Publishers like
O'Reilly, Apress, Springer or our own FOSS4G event workshops (did you
know FOSS4G cleared 100k this year? ;) ) follow this exact model.

The fact that OTG sees an opportunity to do this and has put forth
effort in developing materials is a signal there's a market there and
it is an indirect measurement of those projects' success -- not a
failure of the projects' documentation efforts.  Not everyone has the
time to go learn all of this stuff on their own or the ability to
travel to FOSS4G and hope one of the workshops covers what they need.
I applaud OTG for developing a curriculum and providing training
services to serve this market, and I think the osgeo-discuss is a
perfect place for an announcement like this.

Howard