[OSGeo-Discuss] Finding Data Sets

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Wed Jan 23 13:36:35 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:22:38PM -0600, Erik Uzureau wrote:
> A friend of mine is building a website and wants to add a map of
> India. He asked me today where he could find some good map data on
> India and I had to reply that I have no clue.

You could try the freemap.in list -
http://lists.freemap.in/mailman/listinfo/freemap - this is more a
source of high-resolution data for particular cities than an
india-wide effort. e.g. http://mumbai.freemap.in/
There's also an OSGeo-India local chapter, and i bet some overlap
between these lists.

http://mappinghacks.com/2005/08/22/open-geodata-policy-shift-in-india/
is an old blog entry with a bunch of India-policy links, but not data ;P
I'm sure others will have more concrete suggestions.

> and could point me in the right direction? Cholmes sort of
> unconvincingly suggested geodata at lists.osgeo.org. Does anyone else
> have a thought?

Well, it's interesting to hear about use cases there. And the
committee has a remit to run a public geodata registry / repository;
so we ideally *should* be able to offer this kind of answer.

cheers,

jo