[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: Open Geo Database

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Wed Jan 23 21:58:34 PST 2008

Gilberto,

IMO:

I too would like to see a solid 'corporate strength' FOSS tool that I
could use as a spatial data repository for use by a wide range of systems
and applications. Some of the functionality that I saw in TerraLib (e.g.
raster in Postgres) would be potentially very useful.

PostGIS certainly appears to be a good solid environment with plenty of
support from other projects. It also deserves substantial support.

However, I'm not sure if excluding other approaches and just concentrating
on PostGIS would be a good thing. We could miss out on the next poster
spatial project by doing this. It certainly doesn't hurt to have options
and explore alternatives.

Bruce Bannerman

discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org wrote on 24/01/2008 10:26:58 AM:

> Dear all
>
> Regarding the FOSS Geodatabase discussion, I would like to bring a
> different issue to the discussion.
>
> It concerns whether we should be concerned with broadening the
> number of FOSS databases that offer support for spatial data, or
> whether we should focus on deepening and increasing the support for
> different types of spatio-temporal data on PostGIS.
>
> Consider a situation where PostGIS would demonstrably handle more
> spatial data types than Oracle and would do so efficiently. This
> would provide a tremendous leverage for all FOSS4G applications and
> developers.
>
> To me, PostGIS is to FOSS4G what Linux is for FOSS as a whole. It's
> the enabling platform for succesfull FOSS4G enterprise applications.
> By concentrating on PostGIS and associated tools, we will build a
> reliable and consistent set of tools.
>
> Best regards,
> Gilberto
> Dr.Gilberto Camara
> Director General
> National Institute for Space Research (INPE)
> Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil

Notice:

contained in this email.