[OSGeo-Discuss] Using OpenOffice to write DocBook files

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Mon Jan 28 08:48:26 PST 2008

Greetings,

The education and curriculum group is looking into promoting DocBook as
a recommended format for content for tutorials and it might provide
useful resources to folks interested in producing software
documentation. There is interest in using OpenOffice as a writing tool
for DocBook and I'd like to know if any of you folks could help us make
progress in this area. The idea is to create templates so authors write
using a set of restricted styles in OpenOffice and then transform the
document to the DocBook format. My understanding is that O'Reilly does
something along these lines. Does anyone out there have any contacts
with O'Reilly that we can use to find out if they would be willing to
share their methods and templates? Can you think of other ideas that
would help us reduce the work required to do this from scratch?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

All the best,

Ned