[OSGeo-Discuss] Using OpenOffice to write DocBook files

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Mon Jan 28 11:45:04 PST 2008

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Open Office supports a set of Doc Book styles right now ... not sure I
> understand what you are looking for.
Thanks for your thoughts. I tried playing around with the default
DocBook styles but they seemed pretty limited and from what I could tell
their style names didn't map to the DocBook tag names so I had a tough
time making sense of it. This could of course be a user limitation - I
need to give it another look. The other thing is that I haven't been
able to find OpenOffice DocBook templates that support the newer DocBook
5.0 standard. I suppose we can write guidelines on how to use the
existing template but I was hoping there was something better out there.
> I have used DocBook before to make online help (according to the
> eclipse writing guidelines). I used a tool called XMLMind which was
> pretty scary but good once you got into it.
I use XMLMind and like it a lot. The issue for some folks is that it
isn't open source.