[OSGeo-Discuss] Case studies for migrating to Geospatial FOSS?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 28 18:50:23 PST 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> After giving a presentation recently about Geospatial Open Source, we
> were asked whether there have been any case studies on migration to
> Geospatial Open Source.
>
> The audience were very sympathetic to Open Source, but felt is would
> be much easier to sell to upper management if they could draw upon
> experiences of other agencies who have done something similar.
>
> Can anyone point me to reports, or programs which have migrated from
> ESRI/Oracle applications (ArcGIS in particular) to Open Source
> equivalents?

Cameron,

Paul Ramsey has gotten several excellent case studies on PostGIS deployment
written up at:

   http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/casestudies/

The situations vary, but some of them directly address migrating from ArcGIS
to postgis+foss4g.

It would be of huge value to the community to develop additional case studies
beyond these focused primarily on PostGIS.

Best regards,