[OSGeo-Discuss] Case studies for migrating to Geospatial FOSS?

Miguel Montesinos mmontesinos at prodevelop.es
Tue Jan 29 06:09:13 PST 2008

Hello Cameron,

In Spain there are several case studies.

Valencian Regional Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport is under a project of migrating "all" systems to open-source software[1]. As a matter of fact, that was the reason to build gvSIG[2]. All geospatial infrastructure (previously with ESRI) has been moved to open source (gvSIG, PostGIS, MapServer, deegree, geoNetwork opensource).[2]

Hydrographic Confederation of Guadalquivir river (Spain). A migration of a big part of ESRI components to open-source has been made, with use of gvSIG, Geonetwork opensource, MapServer, GeoServer, deegree [3]

[1] http://www.gvsig.gva.es/index.php?id=gvpontis&L=2
[2] http://www.gvsig.gva.es/index.php?id=gvsig0&L=2
[3] http://www.orzancongres.com/administracion/upload/imgPrograma/N-004.pdf

Sorry [3] is in Spanish.