[OSGeo-Discuss] Who's in incubation, who has graduated?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Jan 29 09:36:07 PST 2008

On Tue, January 29, 2008 10:54, Micha Silver wrote:
> I think this topic has been discussed before.

Indeed, it has a history of being ignored, thanks for bringing it up
again. Now that some major projects are moving we might also get more
backing. Marketing has ordered a Logo for graduated projects that should
come soon. It is a starting point.

> On the OSGeo home page
> there's the list of OSGeo projects, but no indication of which projects
> have finished the incubation and are "OSGeo certified". To find out, you
> have to make your way to the "Incubation Committee" wiki page, and there
> is the only list (I could find) of which projects have graduated.

We would like to highlight this information better on the main portal page
but could not propose a good way on how to do this. Any idea?

> Furthermore on that page it says:
> "The following status and provenance documents are for historical
> purposes, and are no longer actively maintained" which *might* be
> misconstrued to mean that those projects are no longer considered  part of
> OSGeo.

Another issue that I have brought up long ago but which was also never
followed up on. The only process in place now is a report by the PSC that
is due ... whenever someone feels like it. Some of the issues dealt with
in the incubation documents are to put good processes in place so that you
will (hopefully) never have to bother about copyright and licenses anymore
but things like the community, governance and general activity should be
monitored in some way.

> Why not give some clear visual indication (font color, etc) on the main
> OSGeo web page of which projects have finished, giving them the credit
> they deserve?

Yes, sure. We should really have done that much earlier.

Cheers, Arnulf.

> Cheers,
> Micha
>

> --