[OSGeo-Discuss] Call for help: GDAL and txt2shp.py

Kjell Are Refsvik kjell.a.refsvik at hiof.no
Thu Jul 3 13:40:50 PDT 2008

On 3. juli. 2008, at 21.36, Dane Springmeyer wrote:

> Refsvik,
>
> Try reversing your coordinates, as the graphic looks like your
> output shapefile has had the x/y reversed.

Splendid! That did the trick.

http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_success.png

However - I have another dataset from the middle east, and approaching
this data the same way, even trying to reverse the dataset from the
images, it still fails:

http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail1.png
http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/gdal_fail2.png

Any ideas on what could be wrong here is appreciated.

> Then if you want to display the data against other layers not in WGS
> 84/EPSG 4326 you'll need to add a .prj file, which can be grabbed
> from http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4326/

Thanks. Just before it crashed, I just got that tip from a kind
individual on irc://irc.freenode.net/#gdal

> Dane

Now, with this as a reference:

http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=5

... trying to have the dots numbered or named and outputting the two
layers as a transverse mercator projected .png file are the two things
left to do.

I would really appreciate some input on how to proceed, as I cannot
figure out if gdal_rasterize can be used for this purpose.

Best regards,

Kjell Are