[OSGeo-Discuss] The New Board to be and Global representation

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Jun 13 12:47:17 EDT 2008

On 13-Jun-08, at 1:26 AM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:

> Hi I can't be more agree with we should seek the best people to
> represent the foundation, based on the merits and commitment with the
> usual free software values, rather than a geographic representation.
> Of course having elected people from all over the world should be a
> sign that FOSS4G is spreading and OSGeo is getting more and more
> broader.

Since there are only a few open positions for board elections each
year, it will take some time to see any long term movement in
representation either way.  In addition to to "merits and commitment"
I would also add "vision" to the list of positive attributes for
board members.

One thing that I think would be useful right away would be to start a
group made up of one representative from each local chapter - a sort
of global council.  This doesn't have to be a new or separate mailing
list, but could be.  Just having a group to go to for sharing
thoughts, ideas and vision would be really valuable.  Sound good?

Tyler