[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: on Google Code and export restrictions

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 05:29:14 PDT 2008

On 6/6/08, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
>

>  > PS. I would note that download.osgeo.org supports mirroring using rsync.
>  > I would encourage local chapters or individuals with their own servers
>  > to consider mirroring the download server for the sake of fast local
>  > access, and to ensure no one can take anything away.
>

> Hi all.
>  Would mirroring to several neutral countries entirely solve the problem?
>  pc

It could, but I would suggest consulting an export control lawyer. If
the software is considered "published" by a US entity, I am assuming
that US laws would apply to that entity no matter where in the world
that entity's assets (the servers) were located. I am speaking from
the analogy that Microsoft or Apple would have the same restrictions
that they would have in the US even if their servers were located in
Switzerland. If OSGeo is a US entity, it probably has to follow US
laws.

Only a lawyer can tell.

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/