[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Fundraising

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Jun 12 10:21:12 PDT 2008

I stole the following snippet from another of Paul Ramsey's posts. I
thought it belonged in a separate thread:

Paul wrote: "Having a plan to take better advantage of our host nation
status. We pay a good deal in terms of administrative overhead to be a
fully tax-exempt charity in the USofA, what fund raising plans have we
linked to that status?  Is that status gaining us anything at all, at
this point?  The only connection I have *ever* heard was Michael Tiemann
saying he'd only contribute if he could get a US tax write-off."

I've never seen any type of fundraising plan. Do we have one? If we want
to take advantage of our tax-exempt status do we have a list of American
companies that might be possible contributors and might also be
interested in a tax write-off? Do we need to assemble a team to handle
fund-raising efforts? After all, I'm sure that Tyler has his hands full
with the Journal and other items...

Another thing I've been curious about is how any funds raised will be
spent or dispersed. I know we need to pay Tyler's salary. What other
things do we need to pay for? Do we help fund the FOSS4G conference? Do
we fund work/infrastructure for specific projects?

I'd like to learn more about this. I think a web page geared towards
potential contributors with a concise explanation of how duns are spent
would be an aid to fundraising efforts, if we will ever have any.

Landon