[OSGeo-Discuss] Software Language

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jun 12 12:18:13 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:
>
>> The reality is that the software world is dominated by the
>> western world and the English language. (How many programming languages do
>> you know of that are written in Russian?) :]
>
> I hope a Russian answers, because given the split between the Soviet
> and western worlds in the early years of computing, I am sure there
> must be several. Of course, our lack of knowledge is merely proof
> positive of our insularity.

Just consult one of your preferred search engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-English-based_programming_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Non-English-based_programming_languages

-> Glagol – A Russian-based programming language similar to Oberon and Pascal
-> Rapira – A Russian-based interpreted procedural programming
language with strong dynamic type system

But maybe offtopic for this list...

Markus