[OSGeo-Discuss] Chickens, Boards and Export Restrictions

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu Jun 12 17:01:33 PDT 2008

IMO:

Paul,

Some Local Chapters are going through this process currently, e.g.
OSGeo-AustNZ.

We will need to incorporate as a non profit within Australia with its
overheads of audits, annual fees etc.

One potential upside is that we may get some protection by way of
Directors Insurance for people making decisions on behalf of OSGeo  (or
the local chapter).

During the recent FOSS4G-2009 work, several of us were left high and dry
with no protection from the parent body. This situation is not acceptable.

Bruce

discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org wrote on 13/06/2008 03:28:31 AM:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Dave Patton <davep at confluence.org>
wrote:
> > Are there practical
> > matters (e.g. wording in the foundation's charter
> > or letters of incorporation) that preclude OSGeo from
> > being incorporated in multiple jurisdictions?
>
> Yes, it's work to be an entity. We're having enough trouble with the
> work involved in being an entity just one jurisdiction, adding more
> just adds more rules to follow and forms to submit. If the work
> involved and rules of the USA are too overwhelming, I could see
> changing to a different jurisdiction, but there would have to be a
> good reason to ditch all the effort invested thus far.
>
> P.

Notice:

contained in this email.