[OSGeo-Discuss] Thematic Mapping Engine as Open Source?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Jun 23 08:56:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:40:41PM +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Bjorn Sandvik ha scritto:
>
> > I'll consider the pros and cons between different licenses. I don't have
> > commercial interests,
> > but I would like the project to be sustainable.
> >
> > I've changed my mind about using SourceForge, - I agree that Google Code
> > is more suitable.
>
> Please note:
> - GPL is more widely used

Than what?

In any case, GPL is designed to prevent use of the software in a
specific set of contexts. I maintain my position that for Javascript
Libraries, the GPL is confusing at best, and tends to hurt uptake of
an open source project, in my experience. (ExtJS is a strong counter
example of a JS library which is GPL licensed -- but they are not an
open source project, just open source code.)

The GPL is a fine license for many things, I just think that open souce
Javascript Libraries isn't among them.

> - Google Code apparently puts severe restrictions on exporting code to
> several countries.

Google Code follows the legal restrictions that are placed on it by the
government of the country in which the company is based. (I mentioned
this in my previous email.) Sourceforge is also a US-based company: it
has the same *legal* restrictions placed on it, and I don't know if
there is evidence that it doesn't have the same restrictions as Google
Code; if they do, I believe that they would be in violation of the law
anyway, though admittedly, as with all things, something being against
the law doesn't stop people from doing it.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer