[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu May 15 02:58:30 EDT 2008

IMO:

Good points Michael.

> I'm not looking to start a debate, but...

ditto. (perhaps I should stay out of this...)

> >> We call on all governments to:
> >>
> >>   1. Procure only information technology that implements free and
> open standards;

This is desirable, however consider:

There is often existing proprietary technology in use that meets the
requirements of a business. There may have been a significant investment
over a large period of time to implement and use this technology. The
business unit may not have achieved its return on investment. There may
also have been a significant investment in training end users in this
product range. Another consideration is the availability of trained users
and consultants within industry. Another is the overhead in data
conversion of significant repositories, and the potential for lost context
during the conversion process (e.g. topology).

Considering the above, it may not be realistic to expect this to occur
quickly.

This is something that needs to be phased in strategically over time, if
it makes sense to do so.

>From my viewpoint it is more important to make sure that data maintained
within these 'proprietary systems' is able to be freely shared using open
standards. This can be implemented parallel to the proprietary systems.

In time systems can be converted when investment decisions allow and
business functionality is met.

> >>   2. Deliver e-government services based exclusively on free and open
> standards;

This another of those 'holy war' issues that never seem to go away and
flair up from time to time.

Not all countries, or even government organisations within countries have
the same liberal approaches to free and open access to data that the US
and Canada do.

Many organisations still have their budgets tied to sales of 'licenses' to
their data. There are also security issues for some countries.

We can have open access to data as a goal, but don't expect overnight
success.

Also there is a significant demand for governments to provide data in
someone's favourite format, so that they don't have to do the conversion
into 'their' spatial tool.

> >>   3. Use only free and open digital standards in their own
> activities.

Again desirable.

My comments to point 1 above are also relevent here.

Bruce Bannerman

Notice:

contained in this email.