[OSGeo-Discuss] Java Collaboration...Again

Martin (OPENGeoMap) martin at opengeomap.org
Fri May 2 15:55:39 PDT 2008

Hi

> Landon,
>
> I'm sure there will be some challenges in this effort. :-)
>
> I would also like to bring to your attention the MetaCRS project, an
> effort to confederate some other existing coordinate system related
> projects
> (particularly Proj4JS, CS-MAP and PROJ.4) and to work towards some shared
> test data and coordinate system dictionaries.
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MetaCRS
I think JAVA community works already with proj.4. For example gvsig:
http://www.gvsig.gva.es/index.php?id=1583&L=2

Talking about gis in JAVA is talking about gvsig.

I think a new library is necessary to integrate:
- 2d GRID. Already in cs2cs.
- geopotencial models. In GEOTRANS support for EGM models and EGM2007 i
think soon...
- geoids models. We don´t have standard file format  by know,...
- Altimetric models. In spain we don´t have this thing but in USA they
have...
- Projections.- proj.4 source code is very offuscated and GEOTRANS need
a little OOP.
- I don´t understand why proj use ellipsoid and spheres... We can solve
all only with ellipsoid like GEOTRANS.
- A library projection need a clean API to use people. This is a good
example of clean API:
http://gts.sourceforge.net/reference/gts-boolean-operations.html
- Factors. included in proj.4.
- Tranformations- In geotrans and cs2cs (fork of geotrans)
- Tranformations parameters.- I have a library using GSL. I need time to
publish it.
- EPSG web service. ESPG ACCESS database is a real pain for us.
- proj and geotrans are not useful for surveying nowadays. They need K
factor not only coordinates. Evenden factors are not enough for me.
- We need reuse projections not the complete libray.
- We need think in widgets for GTK (mono, gtkmm), Qt and JAVA people
- Geotrans have an optimized source code. Proj not. With a few source
code lines we can make geotrans great.
- Geotrans engine is complete but it´s not useful. It better used the
Frank source code of cs2cs (fork of geotrans).
- For me the geotrans projections and geoide library are very
interesting to study.
- GEOTRANS UTM formulas are more complete here.
- geocentric to geodesic. I have made several month ago a study about
all methods (fukushima, borkouski, geotrans, cs2cs, etc) in SCILAB with
graphics. If someone think is interesting only have to tell me.
- proj4 format for me is very old.
- We need a unit system library and study this topic. Our CRS library
need to use this unit system library.

For me the perfect solution is Gobject because is a full dynamic OOP
library in C:
- The engine needs C function pointer methods.
- JAVA people can create bindings in a easy way.
- MONO people create bindings in a automate way:
http://www.mono-project.com/GAPI
- C++ bindings are direct here.
- VALA sounds interesting: http://live.gnome.org/Vala

Regards.