[OSGeo-Discuss] Your open source career

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at traversetechnologies.com
Mon May 5 08:28:27 PDT 2008

Landon Blake wrote:
> The lack of good user documentation is a weakness of many open source
> projects. The problem is that most of us like to code, but few of us
> like to write! It is something that needs to be addressed, although I am
> unsure of the solution. Maybe we need to invent an IDE for user
> documentation. :]

It sort of depends.  One of the few ways open source developers get PAID
for their work (unless their day job pays for their open source
endeavors) is to write books about their software.  Hence the plethora
of books about Apache, various Linux and BSD varieties, and so forth -
written by the major developers thereof.

What, you expect high quality software, with high quality documentation,
and support - with nobody getting paid anywhere along the line?

--
Miles R. Fidelman, Director of Government Programs
Traverse Technologies
mfidelman at traversetechnologies.com
617-395-8254
www.traversetechnologies.com