[OSGeo-Discuss] Java Collaboration...Again

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon May 5 18:11:25 PDT 2008

Frans Thamura wrote:

>     anyone have the list of stack diagram of OSGeo product that in Java?
>     i still confuse and dont get the topic here ;)
>     even I am java programmer, i am new in OSGeo:)

I have a stack diagram for the GeoTools project here; each box
represents a GeoTools module (a seperate jar much like commons has
commons-logging, commons-collection, etc...).
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/02+Meet+the+GeoTools+Library

The page has a diagram showing the layers that make up the GeoTools stack:
- GeoAPI (separate project) - the formal interfaces defining the
standards based data structures we are working with
- gt-api - formal public API
- gt-metadata - implementation of ISO 19115 constructs (used as part of
referencing)
- gt-referencing - projection support, different plug-ins provide
support for more crs authorities (like EPSG)
- JTS (seperate project) - adds geometry support (gt-referencing + JTS
is what you need to make a spatial application the rest is gravy)
- gt-api - formal interfaces defining the non-standards based data
structures and factories we are working with
- gt-coverage - raster support, different plug-ins provide support for
more formats
- gt-main - implementation of a lot of geoapi and gt-api
- gt-data - implementation of vector data access, different plug-ins
provide support for more formats
- gt-jdbc - implementation of jdbc vector data access, different plug-in
provide support for more formats
- gt-xml - parsing support for several ogc specifications
- gt-cql - implementation of a common query language parser from the ogc
catalog spec
- gt-render - implementation of a renderer based on the ogc sld
specification

Beyond that (for an architecture diagram showing how the projects fit
together) you may want to look at GeoServer (implementation of many ogc
web services), GeoNetwork (implementation of ogc catalog service) and a
range of desktop clients from gvSig and OpenJump to uDig.

Cheers,
Jody