[OSGeo-Discuss] scale of FOSS projects

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:35:45 PDT 2008

Jo, consolidation is a natural progression in any market, even Open Source.

This is driven by user requirements, which in turn drives resources.

Users in general want maximum functionality for their investment. They
want low risk. They want future proofing. This is usually achieved by
selecting the best, most successful project in their niche. So the rich
projects get richer, and poor get poorer.

Note also that the cost of reviewing all applications to suite your
business needs is expensive. So it is valuable for users to have a
"quality stamp" applied to projects to help focus their search. At the
moment, OSGeo is providing the "quality stamp" for OSGeo projects.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally