[OSGeo-Discuss] scale of FOSS projects

Andy Turner A.G.D.Turner at leeds.ac.uk
Wed May 7 07:07:27 PDT 2008

> At the moment, I can't think of any "really successful open source
projects" that didn't have their origins with "a network of
partly-funded enthusiast contributors" where the originator didn't have
some form of organizational home and/or a funding stream for the first
few releases of the software.

> Now, if anybody has a good example of a more grass roots project that
has survived - please, some examples would be a great contribution to
this discussion.

It has gone through some major changes, but GeoTools might fit into the
surviver without initial funding class of OSS and it's FOSS4G too :-)

Best wishes,

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/